The candidate will work within the Student Services department, Safeguarding, Welfare and Engagement team, to Safeguard Students and provide mental health and well-being support to meet demand. You will work closely with internal departments, curriculum and external organisations to ensure that vulnerable students are afforded the same opportunities as other students.
Your main duties and responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following areas:
· Take responsibility for students in the capacity of Student Welfare & Safeguarding Advisor and liaise as appropriate with the Student Services Team leader, Head of Student Services, Welfare & Guidance team members, Student Advisors, Safeguarding Team members, Lead Learning Support and curriculum teams
· Provide timely and impartial advice and guidance to students ensuring access to the appropriate support areas.
· Mentor and support vulnerable and at-risk students
· Actively liaise with parents and other relevant parties, where appropriate, to ensure learner’s needs are met as agreed appropriately by the Head of Student Services
· Set up individual action plans for supporting learners in their daily College life in relation to welfare and safeguarding
· Ensure that pro-monitor is updated with any appropriate information that can be shared with curriculum teams
· Actively promote mental health and well-being issues in the College by way of awareness raising events, promotions and targeted health and well-being initiatives
· Maintain effective links with local external agencies to ensure learners can access appropriate advice and support from external agencies as required.
· Work with other support teams within the College to help promote a holistic system of support for learners
· Signpost students to the Student Advisors where student issues are linked to academic support/success and to the \lead Learning Supports where the student issues are linked to academic support and exam needs
· Communicate effectively with other teams across the College to ensure that each student is provided with the appropriate support to improve their attendance, performance and achieve success
· Be involved in the induction process for students, ensuring all students have a clear understanding about the Safeguarding and Welfare Services available for student at the college
· Lead on the criminal conviction process for student applicants, by carrying out all risk assessments and liaising with appropriate persons to ensure support arrangement for students with criminal convictions are in place throughout the year
The successful applicant will be educated to Level 3 or above in a relevant subject, hold a Level 2 Safeguarding qualification/training (or willing to work towards within an agreed timeframe), as well as hold a minimum of Level 2 Literacy and Numeracy (GCSE English Language and Maths (Grade C/4 or above) or other Level 2 equivalent qualifications.
A youth worker qualification is desirable.
Normal working hours of 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 4.30pm Friday
Yes extensive free parking is available at all our locations.
Sponsorship and financial support to achieve Degree Level and Professional qualifications is available upon application.
We have an on-site nursery at our Peterborough Campus, and also offer childcare vouchers to support nursery fees here and at other locations.
Our generous holiday entitlement starting from 41 days of paid leave for full-time employees also hugely supports our working parents, and for some roles, term-time only contracts are available.
You will also find above-average occupational maternity and adoption benefits with up to 12 months off work, and access to paternity and shared parental leave scheme.
The Senior Leadership Team truly care for the wellbeing of staff and students and are actively involved in not only ensuring professional training is available, but that support for personal and professional problems is also accessible. Our free ‘Employee Assistance Programme’ offers access to a wide range of wellbeing resources and programmes including a counselling helpline if required.
Aside from delivering above-average generous holiday and pension benefits, we offer awards and vouchers, and encourage contribution to recognition schemes to ensure staff feel valued and appreciated.
Both locations offer impressive on-site gym and fitness suites, free-parking, well-stocked libraries, and a number of eateries including a Costa at Peterborough and a Starbucks at Stamford.
Peterborough College also has an on-site nursery rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted.